Tangled Webs

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Meanwhile, at the movies...

After a bit of a break, I finally got out to see a couple of movies over the last week.

First up: “Wedding Crashers” was hilarious. I had zero expectations for this (well, actually I thought everything funny was probably in the commercials, and the movie would be pretty lame), so I was pleasantly surprised. Very funny movie. Vince Vaughn plays, well, Vince Vaughn, but at least he does it convincingly, and I don’t think anyone is better at that smarmy rapid fire delivery he specializes in. Owen Wilson plays, well, Owen Wilson – but again, at least he does it effectively. May actually see this one again…

“The Island”. A Michael Bay film – need I say more? Creepy sci-fi movie for oh, a half hour or so, followed by two hours of car chases, car crashes, explosions (which apparently blew gaping holes in the plot), and Bay’s usual assortment of rock-video slo-mo sweeping, swirling camera shots. Honestly – I had put Bay’s previous work “Armageddon” as one of the worst movies in history…but I have to say, Mikey just about topped himself with this effort.

And just to note – I didn’t actually “choose” to see this film. I had sworn never to pay a dime to see a Michael Bay movie - it just so happened that ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ was sold out, and my girlfriend’s friend sort of panicked and got tickets to the next available flick that noone had seen – which happened to be “the Island”. Luckily it was a cheap matinee - $4.25 – but I still felt ripped off!

1 Comments:

  • Good call on "The Wedding Crashers" had these secrets been revealed to us in our University days... oh the tales we could tell !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home